Happy New Year! Many of you read yesterday that I am stepping down as the Justice Promoter in a few weeks. It has been an honor to educate and engage you on our justice issues. As I look into the coming year and decade, I reflected on how the world could be a little better and here is my list of things how this could happen. For more information about what is happening in some of these areas, check out the Justice Updates.
- The senate would reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act. Nearly half of women homicide victims in the U.S. are killed by current or former male partners.
- The Federal Death Penalty and State Death Penalties in Ohio, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana would be abolished.
- We would elect more women and persons of color. In a recent interview, President Barack Obama stated, “There would be less war, kids would be better taken care of and there would be a general improvement in living standards and outcomes.” Would that be so!
- The government would stop rolling back laws that reduce pollution and improve climate damage and we would all use less energy.
- We would improve our listening skills by making an effort to really listen to someone we disagree with.
- We would recognize our participation in human trafficking and stop buying items or services provided by slaves.
- Our government would use diplomatic and foreign aid to improve the conditions in countries where many asylum seekers come from so they can remain in their countries and raise their children in peace.
- More states would enact common sense gun safety legislation.
- We would all respect the dignity of life from conception to natural death.
- Everyone would be counted!
Richard Rohr urges us to have an incarnational worldview, that is a “profound recognition of the presence of the divine in literally “every thing” and “every one.”” If each of us can adopt this worldview during this year and beyond, we will see the importance of valuing the immigrant and the citizen, the unborn and the born, the earth and her creatures. Consider taking one of the issues above and educating yourself about it and working for its implantation. Then we all will live in a better world.