Are you curious about what our Vocation team does? Let me share with you some of the vocation programs and outreach activities we are involved in.
For discerners, we offer the following programs to nurture the call to religious life and to help women with the discernment process:
- Come and See weekend retreat: this two-day program is usually in March and September. Our upcoming Come and See retreat is March 13-15 in Columbus, Ohio; and the September one will be Sept 11-13 in Akron, Ohio.
- Mission Immersion program: this five-day program involves service, reflection, visits, community time, fun, and prayer with local sisters. Our upcoming Mission Immersion is June 5-9 and will be in Wichita and Great Bend, Kansas.
- Monthly Emmaus group: this on-line zoom discernment program is held on the second Friday of each month (7:30 pm – 9:00 pm EST) for discerners around the country to study and discuss a discernment topic, pray together and receive peer support. Each time we meet, we have five to nine discerning women attending, in addition to the sisters.
- One-on-one conversations (by phone or zoom): we have phone calls or zoom conversations with discerners to assist them in learning more about religious life and prayerfully considering God’s call in their life.
- Discerner visitation: we host individual discerner from a few days to a week or longer at our Houses of Welcoming or Motherhouse, helping them experience real community living.
For vocation outreach and vocation promotion, we are involved in many activities:
- Give vocation talks, attend events, help give retreats at churches, universities, or schools, or hold vocation display tables at various conferences.
- Collaborate with our Communications department on our Vocation webpages, publications, and other communications
- Collaborate with vocation directors from other congregations on vocation outreach.
- Post to social media on our Vocations Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
- Write and send out weekly blogs and monthly e-newsletters to discerners.
- Involve sisters and associates in providing help with programs and outreach efforts.
For our team, we plan and implement events to fuel ourselves with energy, knowledge, and a spiritual focus for our mission by:
- Having weekly Vocations team meetings and regular meetings with our leadership liaison, who is the congregation’s Prioress.
- Holding team reflection days.
- Attending workshops or webinars to be updated and develop our own gifts/talents for the ministry.
Our religious life is so beautiful and filled with love, companionship, peace, and blessings. Our congregation mission is so vibrant and vital for the church and society. Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” (Mt 5:14-16). Thus, we strongly believe and feel confident about greeting and encouraging others to join us as vowed members.
Sisters, associates, discerners, and friends, you can help us to be the hands, feet, voices, and hearts for our religious life and mission. Please help us spread the word about our upcoming events (see list below) wherever you can, including your churches, families, places of ministry, and by sharing our postings on your Facebook page. We appreciate all your help in bringing the light of our religious life and congregation’s mission to the world.