– Colorado is the 22nd state to *abandon* the death penalty! The bill repealing the death penalty passed last month, and Governor Polis is expected to sign the bill into law soon.
- Click here to sign & share the petitions for upcoming executions in Alabama and Texas.
- Plan now to participate in other protests, such as the 27th Annual Fast & Vigil to Abolish the Death Penalty at the US Supreme Court, and/or the next Tennessee March4Mercy on May 31 in Nashville. Click through to order postcards you and your community can send to Governor Lee.
– The “New Way Forward Act” would roll back immigration laws that have led to racial profiling and disproportionately resulted in the incarceration, deportation, and destruction of families of color and immigrant communities.
The New Way Forward Act would:
- Reduce mass incarceration by ending mandatory detention and banning for-profit immigration jails.
- Allow immigration judges to consider a person’s individual circumstances during deportation proceedings, allowing more people to remain with their families and move forward with their lives without fear that an old offense could lead to deportation.
- Allow independent federal judges to review certain decisions of immigration judges that the 1996 laws unfairly tried to remove from judicial oversight.
- End federal prison sentences and criminal prosecutions for people who cross the border seeking freedom, safety, opportunity, or to reunite with their families.
- Advance racial justice and address obstacles to equal justice in the criminal legal system by limiting deportation for drug convictions and other offenses that result from enforcement that disproportionately targets communities of color.
- Protect communities and local resources by ending the harmful practice of local police acting as deportation agents or carrying out mass deportations with ICE.
- Allow people previously ordered deported to apply for the opportunity to come home.
The National Domestic Workers Alliance has created a petition that calls on Democratic candidates to sign the New Way Forward Act into law within their first 100 days in office. Click here to sign the petition.
– The Eco-Justice Committee notes that this year marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day and the fifth anniversary of Pope Francis’ encyclical Laudato Si on care for our common home. Materials for the celebration of those events will be sent to Motherhouses, Retreat Centers, Eco-Centers/Farms, ODU, Albertus and Dominican high schools in the next few days.
The information is drawn from the Catholic Climate Covenant and the Eco-Justice Committee.
– The March issue of “Stop Trafficking” has been released by the US Catholic Sisters Against Human Trafficking. Click here to read.