Webinar – September 3, 2020:
Following Jesus in Election Season – Christian Allegiance: Two Perspectives. Join our colleague, Fr. John Dear, on this webinar organized by The Global Immersion Project. Learn more and register here.
Please consider taking 5 minutes right now to sign and share this Ohio faith leader sign-on letter to Senator Portman. Sources indicate that it may be possible to convince the Senator of the importance of including mixed-status families in the financial relief offered as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, we hope you will sign our letter urging him to cosponsor the “Coronavirus Assistance for American Families (CAAF) Act” and to support an expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit in order to provide economic stimulus and financial relief to families in need during this global pandemic.
The deadline for signatures is September 4, so please act now!
The Refugee Council USA is organizing Virtual Lobby Days this week. Please consider participating by contacting your senators and representative and urging them to hold the administration accountable and restore the U.S. refugee quota to historic levels.
By September 30th, the Trump Administration is required by U.S. law to consult with House and Senate Judiciary Committee leaders before deciding how many refugees can be resettled to the United States in FY 2021. Since 1980, the U.S. has set a ceiling of about 95,000 refugees each year. However, this number has dropped precipitously during the Trump administration, reaching a low of 18,000 for FY 2020, a decrease of more eighty percent.
The United States can and should resettle more refugees. By comparison, Germany, with a population about one fourth the size of the U.S., settled more than 800,000 refugees in 2015. Refugees are a great gift to our country. Many are working on the frontlines during the coronavirus pandemic, including 176,000 in the health care field.
NOTE: If your senator or representative holds a key leadership position (named below), a call to their office would be very helpful. The message is simple:
Please restore the U.S. refugee quota to at least the pre-Trump administration level of 95,000. The United States can and should welcome more refugees. They are a gift to our country.
- Sen. Graham (R-SC), Chair, Senate Judiciary Committee: 202-224-5972
- Sen. Cornyn (R-TX), Chair, Senate Immigration Subcommittee: 202-224-2934
- Sen. Feinstein (D-CA), Ranking Member, Senate Judiciary Committee: 202-224-3841
- Sen Durbin (D-IL), Ranking Member, Senate Immigration Subcommittee: 202-224-2152
- Rep. Nadler (NY-10), Chair, House Judiciary Committee: 202-225-5635
- Rep. Lofgren (CA-19), Chair, House Immigration Subcommittee: 202-225-3072
- Rep. Jordan (OH-04), Ranking Member, House Judiciary Committee: (202) 225-2676
- Rep. Buck (CO-04), Ranking Member, House Immigration Subcommittee: 202-225-4676