Sr. Marguerite Chandler looks at Goal Number Six of the Laudato Si’ Action Platform, a 7-year Catholic Effort Addressing the Climate Crisis instituted by Pope Francis. What are some ways that we can attain ecological spirituality?
Goal 6 – Ecological Spirituality: To recover a religious vision of God’s Creation, encourage greater contact with the natural world in a spirit of wonder, praise, joy and gratitude, promote creation-centered liturgical celebrations, develop ecological catechesis, prayer, retreats, formation, etc.
- We need to be intentional by including “our common home” – the greater earth community – in our personal and communal prayer.
- Spend time outdoors or looking out a window noticing the beauty, diversity, and wonder of our world. Give the earth community a chance to delight us.
- Give thanks for the many ways creation makes our life possible and how it enriches us.
- Pray for solutions to issues such as climate change, mountaintop removal, XL pipeline, etc.
- Celebrate Earth Day, World Water Day, Spring Equinox, Farm Animals Awareness Week, etc.
- Make ecological spirituality central in catechesis, retreats, and formation programs.
- Use resources listed in the OPPeace News and on the OPPeace.org website.