Dominican Sisters of Peace Human Trafficking Committee
Charged with our Congregational commitment to be a prophetic voice in solidarity with the poor, the marginalized, and the oppressed, the Human Trafficking Committee of the Dominican Sisters of Peace and Associates supports efforts to end human trafficking.
The Human Trafficking Committee is comprised of both Sister and Associate members and meets via Conference Call or Zoom monthly. The committee regularly facilitates and/or participates in the followings initiatives:
- Educating our community on human trafficking issues using various forms of media such as documentaries, prayer services, and handouts;
- Providing displays at Assemblies with a variety of information regarding human trafficking;
- Contributing to congregational blogs and reflections and giving presentations on human trafficking;
- Educating our community on labor supply chain practices;
- Advocating for the rights and protection of victims of human trafficking by speaking to groups, writing letters, signing petitions, participating in marches or rallies; lobbying with congressional representatives, etc.;
- Reaching out to individuals who are or have been victimized by traffickers;
- Organizing teams who visit hotels, hair salons, tattoo parlors, and other locations to help them recognize the signs of human trafficking;
- Supporting and participating through Congregational membership and board service for U.S. Catholic Sisters Against Human Trafficking;
- Ministering to and with survivors of human trafficking;
- Challenging ourselves to become more aware of human trafficking and its causes;
- Challenging those in legislative positions to consider the marginalized and vulnerable in relation to their decisions and policies;
- Challenging our communities to purchase fair trade items and food; and
- Encouraging all to learn the signs of human trafficking.
For more information, or to join the Human Trafficking Committee, please email Interim Justice Promoter, Sister Judy Morris, at email@example.com.