Dominican Sisters of Peace Immigration Reform Committee
Charged with our Congregational commitment to preach truth with hope in God’s promise for our future, the Immigration Reform Committee of the Dominican Sisters of Peace and Associates promotes justice through solidarity with those who are marginalized, especially women and children, and work with others to identify and transform oppressive systems.
The Immigration Reform Committee is comprised of both Sister and Associate members and meets via Conference Call monthly. The committee regularly facilitates and/or participates in the followings initiatives:
- Conducting local immigration research;
- Educating our community on immigration issues using various forms of media such as documentaries, prayer services, and handouts;
- Providing displays at Assemblies with a variety of information regarding immigration;
- Contributing to congregational blogs and reflections and giving presentations on immigration;
- Attending the School of the Americas Watch;
- Sending letters to newspaper editors and participating in newspaper/radio interviews;
- Working with Justice for Immigrants and the USCCB office;
- Advocating for comprehensive immigration reform and just policies at all levels of the government including writing letters, signing petitions, participating in marches or rallies; lobbying with congressional representatives, etc.
- Providing a Dominican Ministry of Presence through actions such as conversations, guidance, prayer, offering transportation, and accompaniment to legal, medical, and other appointments and services to immigrants and the poor;
- Visiting detention centers;
- Challenging ourselves to become more aware of the global immigration and migration issues;
- Challenging those in legislative positions to consider the marginalized and vulnerable in relation to their decisions and policies; and
- Inspiring all to welcome the stranger and care for our sisters and brothers.
For more information, including how to join this committee, please email Justice Promoter Sister Barbara Kane at firstname.lastname@example.org.