POSITION SUMMARY: The Director is responsible for the overall management and growth of the Dominican Learning Center including the Educational Programming, Volunteer Tutor Management, Development and Budgeting, Advisory Council, and Facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
(1) Major Activity: Manage Learning Center Operations:
• Supervise Employees, Sister Staff, and Volunteers.
• Provide staff development. Organize and implement staff meetings every other month.
• Develop and operate within an annual budget.
• Develop annual calendar for tutors and learners.
• Promote public awareness of services and coordinate internal and external communications.
• Provide annual report to the Dominican Sisters of Peace Leadership Team.
• Plan and conduct Advisory Council meetings and interactions.
• Coordinate and implement Strategic Plan.
• Purchase supplies/food for DLC.
• Represent the DLC in public.
(2) Major Activity. Manage Adult Learner Programs:
• Direct the ABE/GED program.
• Implement HiSet High School Equivalency Test Preparation along with GED.
• Match tutors and prospective learners.
• Coordinate the Success Course orientation for ABE/GED learners. Order books and materials for GED/ABE/Spanish GED programs.
• Provide resources and training in resources including books, technology, and supplementary materials for learners and tutors. Evaluate various on-line resources.
• Develop and implement learner recruitment programs.
• Oversee registration and assessment of prospective learners for level placement.
(3) Major Activity: Manage Tutor Recruitment and Training:
• Oversee tutor recruitment.
• Manage the Volunteer Match tutor recruitment tool and other recruitment tools.
• With Staff, provide monthly Tutor Training Workshops for new tutors including an overview of DLC and adult education.
• Update Tutor Training Manual and PowerPoint presentation annually.
• Provide a second individual workshop with a tutor when they are matched with a student.
• Plan and implement Tutor In-Service Workshop for GED/ABE tutors on topics that will improve teaching skills.
• Coordinate and edit monthly Tips for Tutors.
• Plan and coordinate the Tutor Appreciation Luncheon/ Dinner.
(4) Major Activity: Manage Advisory Council:
• Schedule four meetings during the year.
• Serve as an ex-officio Member.
• Work with the Advisory Council President to set agenda for meeting, the educational piece of the agenda, recruitment of new members, and strategic planning.
• Prepare a report for Advisory Council on what has taken place since last meeting and answer any questions during the meeting.
• Work with Treasurer to explain budget results.
• Direct Orientation of new Advisory Council members.
• Provide formation in the Dominican Charism and the Dominican Sisters of Peace.
(5) Major Activity: Manage Development:
• With the Development Committee of the Advisory Council, plan and implement the annual fundraising calendar. Seek new funding resources: e.g. grants, donations etc.
• Research and write existing and new grants and work with the DSP Grant Writer to provide information for grants.
• Track all grants and write end-of-grant evaluations.
• Participate in CHI Grant Team and oversee activities of DLC.
• Develop fall, winter, and summer newsletters for fundraising.
• Oversee #GivingTuesday and #Big Give on-line fundraisers.
• Oversee social media platforms and website to ensure information for potential donors.
• Oversee Learner Fee program.
• Manage Kelley Assistance Program. (Monetary gifts to help students who cannot get to tutoring because of cars, homelessness, etc.)
• Write personal thank you notes to all donors.
(6) Major Activity: Manage Facilities
• Manage physical conditions and improvement of Center.
• Supervise housekeeping.
• Organize and oversee summer maintenance including painting, rug cleaning, new furniture, etc.
• Oversee internet, telephone, WiFi, and security networks.
• Coordinate with DSP IT Department to purchase and install new computers/equipment.
• Ensure the website is up-to-date and pertinent to all audiences.
(7) Major Activity: Attend Professional Workshops and Meetings
• Attend and participate in professional conventions, workshops and meetings to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of Adult Literacy.
• Take on-line courses to learn the latest methods of teaching adults.
Other expectations: Continually strive to achieve the DLC mission, vision and purposes
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required with major coursework in Education or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Experience in Adult Education, ESL Education, or Job Training is preferred. Experience in Administration would be helpful.
Requirements: Proficient in a variety of computer software programs, including Microsoft Office. Must be able to work a flexible schedule and possess patience and compassion and a strong work ethic and desire to work as a supportive team member.
KNOWLEDGE: Business practices and terminology, word-processing software, and data entry.
SKILLS: Must possess positive interpersonal skills to effectively communicate; possess problem-solving skills.
ABILITY: Communicate effectively in both oral and written form with staff, and public; compose reports and correspondence and edit documents with grammatical accuracy; maintain professional and pleasant demeanor; maintain confidentiality; prioritize assigned tasks; follow directions; work independently, be organized.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Stand and walk intermittently throughout the workday, including sitting and bending; reaching, lifting, carrying, and manipulating various office materials, supplies, and equipment;
• Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress of the position;
• Must be able to function independently;
• Must be in good general health;
• Work requires continuous activity and with frequent interruptions.
Deadline for Applications: February 23, 2018
For more information or to apply please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.