Public Relations Specialist
Mission Advancement & Communications Office, Full-Time
The Public Relations Specialist will have a comprehensive understanding of storytelling techniques, news writing, writing for the web, social networking trends and techniques to enhance our team in the role of Public Relations Specialist. This person will write, review and edit a variety of publications and materials for the congregation. They will work collaboratively with other department staff as well as with others to promote the mission of the congregation. The Public Relations Specialist plays a pivotal role in public relations ensuring consistency in voice and brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
Major Activity: Public Relations/Communications
- Researches, writes, edits, proofreads, gains approval and coordinates delivery of communications materials including news stories, articles, scripts, internal/external web content, blogs, mobile, printed publications, broadcast, social media, and executive messaging through the appropriate communications channels.
- Understands the goal, audience, and message of the congregation to create effective and compelling stories for a variety of audiences.
- Seeks and identifies story ideas with minimal guidance. Coordinates story ideas with other team members. Takes photos as necessary.
Major Activity: Media Relations
- Provides support to other team members on print scheduling, social media and web site management.
- As a contributing member to the overall Marketing and Communications team, the Public Relations Specialist may support other areas, needs and duties as assigned including external communication, marketing, digital, events, etc.
- Measures and evaluates the impact and effectiveness of communication materials and programs and provides recommendations to management on new/revised programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English or Marketing with 5 years of experience in a Public Relations, Marketing and/or Communications role.
Knowledge/Skills: Fluency in PC computers and related hardware, using creative software tools in a PC environment, including: Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and Outlook, communications skills, both oral and written. Familiarity with: cloud- and web-based communications, including social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, YouTube, etc.) and e-newsletters. Team approach to project conception and completion.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communications skills, polished interpersonal skills and familiarity with a broad range of communication techniques and styles.
- Must be able to counsel and advise peers and others, manage projects, work well under pressure, and work with various personalities as part of a large creative team.
- Photography experience needed
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud applications and Photoshop
- Experience in Internet marketing and/or SEO
- Knowledge and sensitivity to Catholic values.
- Ability to project the mission and culture of the Dominican Sisters of Peace (sisters and associates) in mission to external audiences.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; able to prioritize multiple and conflicting priorities
- Professionally motivated and able to function in multi-state organization with flexibly and focus
- Action-oriented; a strong, efficient problem solver, able to make appropriate decisions and take action when needed
- Ability to network with others and work collaboratively
- Ability to synthesize and communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Understanding the linkage between the mission external outreach and marketing/public relations
- Familiarity with technological developments in communications and ability to use same
- Ability to travel as needed
Ability: Learn new software programs easily, scan documents and photos, make and share professional recommendations on effective communications, prioritize assigned tasks and effectively handle multiple projects, work in fast-paced environment. Familiarity with Catholicism and/or women religious beneficial.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- stands and walks intermittently throughout the work day, including sitting and bending; reaches, lifts, carries, and manipulates various office materials, supplies, and equipment
- must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress of the position
- must be able to function independently
- must be in good general health
Those qualified for the position should submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and professional references to:
Director – Human Resources
Dominican Sisters of Peace
2320 Airport Dr
Columbus, OH, 43219
Administrative Assistant – Office of Associates
Part-Time, 20 hours weekly, M-F
Provides support to the Co-Directors and is responsible for the coordination of daily activities in the department; initiates correspondence and projects; facilitates the flow of information to both internal and external groups; processes confidential information with discretion.
Associate’s Degree in Business field or related field or equivalent; core courses in word-processing and office management. Two years as an administrative assistant/secretarial position or equivalent; Proficient in a variety of computer software and data base programs. Able to work with minimal instructions.
Communicate effectively in both oral and written form with staff, sisters, and public; compose reports and correspondence, and edit documents with spelling and grammatical accuracy; maintain professional and pleasant demeanor, maintain confidentiality, prioritize assigned tasks, follow directions, work independently. Timeliness of completion of work product, as well as the accuracy of the work product is essential.
FOR MORE INFO, CONTACT Those interested should email or send their resume and cover letter to the contact information provided below.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Director – Human Resources
Dominican Sisters of Peace
2320 Airport Dr Columbus, OH, 43219