Signs of a Call
How do you know if you are being called to religious life? There’s rarely a bolt of lightning or a billboard to point you in the right direction, but here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Do you yearn for a deeper relationship with God?
- Do you enjoy talking about your faith, or sharing it with others?
- Do you sense a voice inside – sometimes a whisper, sometimes a shout – nudging you to take a new direction in your life?
- Are you happy and settled in your life, but still feel like something is missing? Are you yearning to serve others, to serve God – be part of something bigger than yourself?
- Are you drawn to a life of prayer, Eucharistic adoration, the rosary, and other prayer forms?
- Are you inspired by the witness of faith or ministry of a Sister?
- Do you feel called to work with the poor or marginalized? Do you seek justice?
- Do you feel called to care for Earth and God’s Creation?
- Have you spent time with members of a religious community and felt the desire to be part of their community or their mission?
- Has anyone ever asked you, “Have you thought about being a Sister?”
You may experience one, all, or none of these feelings – remember, God works within each of us individually, but effectively. Click here to learn more about other ways that God uses to call women and men to religious life.
“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.” (Saint Catherine of Siena)