If one day, you are called to become a sister, what will you do? Deny, ignore, or pursue what you believe is a call. But first, how do you know God is calling you?
God’s invitations can come in many different ways. A call is unique for each person in each circumstance. This invitation may start within you when:
- a voice within you keeps calling you to be a sister.
- you experience a hunger for intimacy with God.
- an inspiring quote, a sister’s story, or the works of a religious community touches you deeply and leads you to consider becoming a sister.
- you dream of working with the poor or working for justice and peace.
- you experience something missing in your life and you want to work for something bigger than yourself.
In some cases, the invitation can be unexpected:
- a thunderbolt hitting your ears when someone says: “Have you ever thought of becoming a sister?”
- a joke you may really hate; “You act or look like a nun, why don’t you be one of them?”
- a bet between you and someone encouraging you to contact a religious community.
God’s invitation can also seem confusing or unsettling. For example:
- Your fiancé hands you a retreat registration; “I registered you for a retreat. You should explore your call before we get married.” Don’t feel resentful towards him.
- You often don’t feel peaceful, but have a sense of emptiness while dating, or even one or two weeks before getting married. Pay attention to that sign.
Remember “For humans, it is impossible; but for God, all is possible.” (Matthew 19:26).
As I mentioned, this invitation may scare you, making you resist, even deny it. Not everyone is called by God to become a sister, but why not at least explore the possibility? So, if you are experiencing a call or a nudge from God, contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will walk with you to help you discover what God is calling you to . . . and we promise, no strings attached.
If you’re ready to take the next step to explore your call and our community, we invite you to join us for a Come and See retreat at our Columbus Motherhouse, March 9-11, 2018. For more details, contact Sr. Pat Dual at email@example.com or call or text her at 614-216-7688.