Bring Civil Rights Lawyers Back to the Courts
Myrna Pérez, a daughter of Mexican immigrants and an advocate for voting rights, has been nominated for a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She would be only the second Latina ever to serve on the Second Circuit, and the first since Sonia Sotomayor was confirmed to the Supreme Court.
Click here to add your name to a petition to tell Senators to confirm Myrna Pérez’s nomination to the Second Circuit Court.
Speak Up to Promote Gun Safety
On April 7, 2021, President Joe Biden announced his initial set of executive actions to tackle the gun violence crisis in our nation, including a change to regulate ghost guns.
On May 21, 2021, the ATF announced a notice of its proposed rule change on ghost guns and the public has 90 days to submit comments on the proposal. The proposed rule would clarify that partially complete firearm frames and receivers (such as 80% receivers) are firearms if they are designed as a part of a functioning firearm, or could easily be converted into one. The rule change would also require ghost gun parts manufacturers and dealers who are engaged in the business of selling those parts to be federally licensed, parts would need serial numbers, and purchasers must pass a background check before buying ghost gun parts from a licensed dealer.
Over 54,000 comments on this legislation have been submitted and the majority of comments are from gun rights advocates and groups. We must counter the corporate gun lobby objections with strong support for this common-sense rule change that will save many lives.
Please click here to add your comment before Thursday, August 19, 2021
- I support ATF 2021R-05 rule change because gun violence is a public health epidemic and the federal government must regulate do-it-yourself easy to assemble unserialized untraceable ghost guns—including AR-15s—that are becoming weapons of choice for criminals, extremists, gun traffickers and other prohibited gun purchasers.
- According to the ATF, law enforcement recovered about 10,000 ghost guns in 2019. Serial numbers must be required for ghost gun parts and background checks must be required for anyone purchasing ghost gun parts. Gun deaths and injuries have surged over the past year and federal inaction on ghost guns will result in more tragedies in our communities in all corners of our nation.
- According to the Center for American Progress, ghost guns are increasingly being used in shootings across the nation. I urge the ATF to support this proposed rule change to keep Americans safe.
- In November 2019, a 16-year-old shot five of his classmates at Saugus High School in California—two of them fatally—using a homemade handgun, before fatally shooting himself.
- In August 2019, a shooter used a homemade gun kit to build a .223-caliber firearm that he later used to fire 41 shots in 32 seconds in a bar in Dayton, Ohio, shooting 26 people and killing nine.
- In 2017, in Northern California, a man prohibited from possessing firearms ordered kits to build AR-15-style rifles. On November 13, he initiated a series of shootings that began with fatally shooting his wife at home, followed by a rampage the next day during which he fired at multiple people in several different locations, including an elementary school, killing five people and injuring dozens more.
- In 2013, a shooter opened fire in Santa Monica, California, shooting 100 rounds, killing five people, and injuring several others at a community college using a homemade AR-15 rifle. Reporting indicates the shooter had previously tried to purchase a firearm from a licensed gun dealer and failed a background check, potentially indicating why he opted to order parts to build a gun instead.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
The Environmental Voter Project has opportunities for phone and email work to help encourage votes for candidates who put the climate first. Click each link to learn more.
- August 11: Volunteer Texting and Calling Training. 12pm ET / 11am CT / 10am MT / 9am PT / 8am AKT. No experience necessary.
- August 17: St. Petersburg, FL Municipal Primary Phonebank. 7pm ET / 6pm CT / 5pm MT / 4pm PT / 3pm AKT. Starts with training; no experience necessary.
- August 23: St. Petersburg, FL Municipal Primary Phonebank. 7pm ET / 6pm CT / 5pm MT / 4pm PT / 3pm ADT. Starts with training; no experience necessary.
- August 26: Boston, MA Municipal Primary Phonebank. 7pm ET / 6pm CT / 5pm MT / 4pm PT / 3pm ADT. Starts with training; no experience necessary.
- August 30: Volunteer Texting and Calling Training. 12pm ET / 11am CT / 10am MT / 9am PT / 8am AKT. No experience necessary.