I know you’ve seen it – the holiday merchandise on display in retail stores.
(Yes. I know, it’s been out for weeks – even in the same aisle as the Halloween merchandise).
Those displays have given me an idea: what if we shift our thoughts from presents to presence during the Christmas season of gratitude and giving by sharing gifts that reach beyond store-bought trinkets?
There are countless ways we can share gratitude, support, and love. Here are a few:
- Spend time with those who are lonely.
- Listen to someone who needs to be heard.
- Write a note of appreciation to family and friends.
- Volunteer at a local food pantry.
- Donate supplies to a school.
- Bake a treat for a neighbor, co-worker, or friend
- Prepare/share a meal for/with someone who lives alone.
- Devote quality time to family and friends.
- Go caroling at a nursing home.
- Rake leaves/shovel snow for a senior.
- Relax with loved ones.
Let’s remember why we celebrate this glorious holiday in the first place: Almighty God decided to give an undeserving humanity the truest and most precious gift that has ever been given in His Son Jesus.
And while we’re making the most of this holiday season, let’s remember that there are always opportunities to give throughout the year!
What are some ways that you can give of yourself this holiday season?