Operations Coordinator for Heartland Farm
MISSION STATEMENT: Heartland Farm, a ministry of the Dominican Sisters of Peace, is a Christian community committed to working for the healing and care of Earth and its inhabitants.
POSITION SUMMARY: The individual will, in coordination with Heartland Farm staff, and within Heartland Farm’s Holistic Context and representing the mission and values of the Dominican Sisters of Peace, coordinate all aspects of Heartland Farm’s daily activities, including its on-farm enterprises, outreach, and internal communications.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner of cooperation with Sisters, co-workers, guests, vendors and management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Understand and work with staff of each enterprise including Heartland Farm management, programming, gift shop, hospitality, marketing and finances to develop and enhance sustainability through:
- Planning and goal setting
- On-going assistance and evaluation
- Collect timely data and provide record-keeping (in conjunction with the staff of each enterprise).
- Explore, with Media and Marketing Coordinator and all staff, emerging opportunities to focus and develop Heartland Farm’s position in the community and online.
- Monitor supplies, place orders, prepare, or assist in preparation of budgets for enterprises and the overall annual budget.
- In conjunction with other staff, coordinate daily business of Heartland Farm including but not limited to:
- All phone, e-mail and other inquiries using or developing systems and vehicles to record, delegate, and/or respond to incoming contacts.
- Keep rest of staff informed about on-going activities.
- Be available to the public for inquiries, sales, registrations, tours, logistics, and other on-site and some off-site engagements.
- Schedule and coordinate annual, monthly, and weekly tasks, maintenance, volunteer and programming activities on Heartland Farm’s schedule.
- Maintain an atmosphere of cooperation and efficiency within the multifaceted activities of Heartland
- Recruit, coordinate, welcome, orient, and offer basic training to all Heartland Farm volunteers.
- Supervise or delegate to appropriate staff member, training, and supervision of volunteers.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer activity: contact information, hours, tasks.
- Enforce, if needed, any corrective actions for volunteers not complying with guidelines stated in volunteer handbook.
- Maintain, update, and monitor web-based and other volunteer recruitment resources: WWOOF, WorkAway, local schools, clubs, organizations, and individuals.
- Follow up with volunteers on WWOOF and other feed-back websites as well as individual thank yous and recognition on behalf of Heartland Farm.
- Be an active team member of Heartland Farm. Attend weekly staff meetings, contribute ideas, share in planning, and update activities. Collaborate with and coordinate staff on project goals, objectives, and strategies both short and long-term.
- Research appropriate grants and other resources that can benefit Heartland Farm’s immediate and future effectiveness and sustainability.
- Attend meetings, workshops, seminars (in person or on-line) to enhance knowledge and skills related to the overall positioning of Heartland Farm as a regional partner in its mission of addressing the needs of its rural communities.
- Coordinate with the Office Manager in developing and utilizing holistic management tools for monitoring Heartland Farm’s enterprises and overall management strategies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Associate’s degree in any field, preferably in organizational management. A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Experience: A minimum of two years in general office and/or site management.
Requirements: Must have valid driver’s license
Knowledge & Skills: Must have or acquire a thorough working knowledge of the multifaceted activities of Heartland Farm. Be trained in principles of Holistic Management. Must have good organizational and human management skills. Must have excellent oral, written, communication and decision making skills. Must be able to communicate positively and effectively in both oral and written form with staff, guests, and visitors in person, on the telephone and through internet.
Ability: Must be able to operate computer, printer, scanner, telephone and digital camera and other office equipment. Must be proficient with internet, email. (Google documents, Word, Excel). Must organize, plan and prioritize work, work steadily and be able to manage multiple projects productively without constant close supervision, managing one’s time. Must be able to adapt to interruptions and situations. Must be able to anticipate and interpret department needs and be able to problem solve independently and/or offer solutions to accomplish tasks.
Working Conditions: Prolonged sitting. Climate controlled environment with adequate lighting and ventilation. Traverse Heartland Farm’s grounds, gardens, trails and other areas and among multiple buildings.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
|Physical Activity||None/never||<1/3||1/3 – 2/3||>2/3|
|Lifting up to 10 pounds||x|
|Lifting up to 25 pounds||x|
|Lifting up to 50 pounds||x|
|Lifting up to 100 pounds||x|
|Reaching laterally and/or above shoulders||x|
|Climbing or balancing||x|
|Stooping, kneel, crouch, or crawl, bend||x|
|Go up and down stairs||x|
|Sitting: Normal ability to sit and work||x|
|Time spent in front of a computer or screen||x|
|Vision: Normal ability to see at night||x|
|Vision: Normal ability to see peripherally left & right||x|
|Vision: Normal ability to see color||x|
|Hearing: Normal ability||x|
|Voice: Normal activity||x|
|Use telephone &/or cell phone||x|
|Use office equipment: computer, fax, copier, printers||x|
|Cope with stress of multitasking||x|
|Work continuously with frequent interruptions||x|
|Use of keyboard||x|
|Face-to-face and written communications with others||x|
|Movement throughout office/work environment||x|
|Movement throughout exterior campus/farm environment||x|
|Pushing, pulling equipment: carts, vacuums, wheelchairs||x|
|Gripping: wheelchairs, garden & kitchen tools, weed eater||x|
|Repetitive motion: chopping, cutting, dicing, vacuuming, etc.||x|
|Driving and/or riding in a vehicle, tractor, lawn mower||x|
|Be in general good health||x|
|Read and write||x|
Please send resumes to RPivonka@oppeace.org